- Category: Cakes
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup Butter, softened
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Flavoring (I chose Vanilla)
- 1 1/2 cups Cottage Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- Grated Rind of 1 Medium Lemon
- 1/2 cup Golden Raisins, chopped
- Nutmeg (optional, for sprinkling over the top)
For the Base
- Lightly grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Sift Flour, Salt, and Baking Powder in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- Cream Butter with 1 cup Sugar.
- Add 2 eggs and vanilla, and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture alternative with with water (begin and end with the flour), little at a time. Beat by hand until smooth.
- Spread into the bottom of the cake pan.
For the Topping
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix starch and milk. Set aside.
- Press the cottage cheese through a sieve, set aside.
- Add 2 eggs and ½ cup sugar.
- Stir in lemon zest.
- Pour cheese mixture over the top of the base mixture in the pan.
- Drop the raisins down evenly over the cheese mixture. They will settle and form a sort of middle layer.
- Optional: Sprinkle nutmeg over the top (I love this).
- Bake for about an hour at 350 degrees. Cool for another hour, then chill.